stuck on "getting changed files..."

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Hi,

Just installed Git Source Control Provider and created a new ASP.NET Web Application. Visual Studio now shows "getting changed files..." in the status bar and it seems to be stuck. Nothing happens for a while and then I have to restart Visual Studio.

Any advice?

Guy

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I'm in kinda the same situation - although Visual Studio isn't quite stuck, but everytime I save, Visual Studio hangs for a long time while it says "Getting changed files" in the status bar.

Prior to upgrading 0.9.1 I didn't have these problems, but that might be coincidental. The Git repo that's causing me the most pain is one that is hooked up to a svn repo with git-svn. Could this have any say in this?

- Henrik

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 9:02 PM

You can try your repo using git bash to run command: git status --untracked-files

Does it generate a lot information?

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Nope, it's completely clean - but having said that, it's only clean because I added a ton of files to .gitignore. Could that be what's causing problems?

I'm working with a proprietary product where the developed extensions and core product files are mixed in the directory structure. I only want to keep the custom extension files in git, and so I had to add a lot of files to .gitignore.

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2012 at 1:18 AM

it is good that the working directory is clean. How long does it take to run the git status --untracked-files? gitscc uses this command to load the changed files. I am trying to see if this command is slow or somewhere else in gitscc is slow.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I just upgraded to 0.9.2. I don't know what was causing the issues, but now everything seems to be working fine again. "Getting changed files..." now takes less than 1 second each time.

In answer to your question, git status --untracked-files also took less than 1 second when run from the prompt.

So if you found and fixed the issue in 0.9.2, thanks a lot! In any case, I'm again a happy user of your fine product :)