new to git and have some questions

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I'm using Visual Studio version 10 (something) and I'm using Git 0.8.4. When I look at the documentation here on the site, I see MANY more things show up when you click on Git Master. I see maybe 3 or 4 things and the pictures in the documentation show about 25 (I'm guessing). I'm using VisualSVNServer and I'm not sure if that's needed.

Right now, all I can do is update the "head". All I have been doing is just a "commit", but I don't see any way of doing a version or tag that would mark all the files as version 1.0 (or whatever). "Tag" does not show up when you click on master.

can someone help me out. I've used other source control software before, but this one has me baffled at the moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2011 at 9:11 PM

You can install Git Extensions and TortoiseGit. Then you will see more menu items.

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Thank you very much. I'm going to install TortoiseGit. Also, can you tell me if I need "VisualSVN Server"? I needed it for anhkSVN, which I did not like very much. I still have hidden ".svn" folders in my projects.

Thanks for your help.

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2011 at 9:34 PM

You don't need VisualSVN Server.

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:55 PM
Edited Oct 10, 2011 at 9:57 PM

also... now that I added TortoiseGit, I can't commit anything??? It says that there's nothing to commit, even though there is a file with a red mark showing that it is changed. I'm going to keep looking and see what I can come up with but any help is appreciated.

edit: we must have been typing at the same time. thanks about the svn server. I think I don't know how to setup the repository for TortoiseGit and that's my problem.