How to use the VS2012 Diff Tool

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Hi,

We are currently having some issues figuring out how this new VS2012 diff tool works. Given a scenario where person would pull something from a remote repo, which caused an conflict (due to some changes in his local repo), how would this be shown in VS2012? We would expect that the UI in VS would give us an "error", telling us about the conflicting file, thus letting us correct this inside of VS itself. The problem is, it does not, why?

Kind regards
ND.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I'd like to know it too, I've set VS2012 Studio Diff Window but can't figure how to use it to fix conflicts.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM

It is not a feature yet to use VS2012 Diff tool to solve merge conflicts.

You can use kdiff3 as the merge tool in git.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I'm using v1.1 released in February. I gather from the home page that VS2012 Diff support was added in that release.

However, when a pull (from the Git Extensions window launched by clicking the pull icon on the VS2012 toolbar) results in a merge conflict, Git Extensions still invokes KDiff3 rather than using VS2012.

I've confirmed the "Use Visual Studio 2012 Diff Window" checkbox is checked in the Git Source Control Provider Options.

Should I expect v1.1 + Git Extensions to work with VS2012 windows? If so, how can I verify I have this stack set up correctly?