How To Open a Git Project from CodePlex?

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Hi,

First, thanks for this product.  It looks like it's going to save me a lot of headaches by avoiding the command line entirely.

However, it seems like in order to get started I'm supposed to do something else, perhaps using the command line?

I just forked a project on CodePlex for the first time.  Now I want to start working on it.  I've already installed Git for Windows (excluding the Windows Explorer extensions) and I've installed Git Source Control Provider through the Extension Manager in Visual Studio 2012.

Now what do I do next so that I can connect to my fork and begin coding?

From what I've read, I need to make a "clone".  I have the clone URL, but I don't see any commands in Visual Studio for cloning a Git repository.

Thanks,
Dave

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM
To clone, you need to run Git for windows, which you can launch from Visual Studio using the button called Git Bash.

yysunThis

On 2012-11-09, at 3:04 PM, "davedev" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi,

First, thanks for this product. It looks like it's going to save me a lot of headaches by avoiding the command line entirely.

However, it seems like in order to get started I'm supposed to do something else, perhaps using the command line?

I just forked a project on CodePlex for the first time. Now I want to start working on it. I've already installed Git for Windows (excluding the Windows Explorer extensions) and I've installed Git Source Control Provider through the Extension Manager in Visual Studio 2012.

Now what do I do next so that I can connect to my fork and begin coding?

From what I've read, I need to make a "clone". I have the clone URL, but I don't see any commands in Visual Studio for cloning a Git repository.

Thanks,
Dave

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM
yysun wrote:
To clone, you need to run Git for windows, which you can launch from Visual Studio using the button called Git Bash.

Thanks for your reply.

Have you considered adding this functionality into the provider and offering a GUI option?  I'd like to avoid the command-line entirely if possible.  I just need a few operations:

1. Clone
  2. Compare
  3. Commit

I don't want to waste any time learning command line options for Git that I don't need.

Thanks,
Dave

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

You can try Compare and Commit using the Git Pending Changes Tool Window.

Regards,

yysun