Integrate with TFS (issue tracker)

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I am wondering if somebody tried to add an ability to add/assign TFS workitems to GIT commits?

I am looking into GITSCC source code to add this ability. GIT commits will have extra text at the bottom in a form:

<workitems>1234;567;890</workitems>

The text is formed by GITSCC, there will be a new option to assign work items to Commits using TFS work items control. When --amend is called for example, that XML tag won't be shown in Comments text area.

Then I would like to add GIT-TF tool support from Microsoft (yes, it's done by MS!:)), so when we want to push commits to TFS using this tool in a background, it will add work items to imported changesets from XML text in GIT commits.

Theoretically, having this done it would be possible to add support for other issue trackers :)

Do someone needs something similar?

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I like your idea. It actually is a feature of this site (codeplex) already. When I pushed code with comment contains "workitem 17798", the work item was marked as fixed automatically.

It is a function more suitable to put in Git-TFS or Git-TF: Do a RegEx search (no need XML) to find out work item ids and update them upon pushing to TFS.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Edited Dec 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I'd like to integrate git-tfs into GIT SCC, by adding a new menu item with few sub items like: check in to TFS, shelve, unshelve, etc.

Also this tool supports work items association, and this could be done nicely via GUIlike in TFS Pending Changes window.

Can you please suggest how this could be done and in what part of the solution?

Coordinator
Dec 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

git-tfs integration can be donw the way similar to GitExtensions and TortoiseGit integration. Three major steps

1) Add menu to the PkgCmd.vsct file

2) Add command to GitToolCommands class

3) Load the commands in BasicProvider.cs like how it does  to GitExtensions and TortoiseGit