How do I setup Git Source Control Provider together with Github for Windows (ClickOnce app)?

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

How do I setup Git Source Control Provider together with Github for Windows (ClickOnce app)?

Do I need another "favorite" tool?

Cheers, Tim

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You install Github for Windows through ClickOnce.

You install Git Source Control Provider through the Extension Manager in Visual Studio.

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I think he's asking how does one use the version of Git installed by GitHub for Windows in the "Path to Git for Windows" option. I'd like to know also.

My git prompt is in powershell (through GitHub for Windows) and it'd be nice to click the "Git Bash" button and have that open.

Kyle

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I've installed Github for Windows and Git Source Control Provider for VS2012. Most of the Git menus in VS are grayed out. I can only do things like Git Refresh and Git About. Git Pending Changes, History, etc. are gray.

When I do a commit from Github for Windows they are reflected in the VS Solution Explorer (i.e. the icons change.)

When I first ran the extension it asked me for the path to git.exe, which I couldn't find. Is that my problem? What should I enter in this field when using Github for Windows?

Thanks
Jason 

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM

The ClickOnce Application "github for windows" installs a portable version of Git in the directory C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\GitHub\PortableGit_GUID where the GUID is a version identifier.  You will need to browse the directory C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\GitHub to see which version of PortableGit was installed.

git.exe is located at C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\GitHub\PortableGit_GUID\bin\git.exe