Improve the file context menu

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Hi,

I'm quite new to Git and I'm trying out all sorts of things and tools around Git now. One of them is this source control provider for VS2010 which I think is a nevessary piece of the Git environment to make it useable with Visual Studio at all (without throwing away much of the productivity VS gives you). I've been using AnkhSVN a lot already. And that's where my two subject points come from now:

• Add some of the more common commands directly in the top-level of the context menu. Right now, when you right-click a file, all you see of Git is the submenu. You have to click that one to get a long list of options. AnkhSVN already adds the most common like Update, Commit or maybe Show Log right to the list of options you get to see when you click the file. That makes it much faster to use. The complete set of commands is still available in the submenu.
  • Display meaningful icons with the operations in the context menu. Right now, there's basically just a list of command names, grouped by the type of backend to be used. All commands have the same icon of the backend. I guess, you don't usually install/use more than a single backend, say TortoiseGit or Git Extensions. Both do the same, so why install both at a time? So all you end up with is a list of commands, all having the same icon. They would be much easier to find if they had meaningful icons besides them.

Do you think this can be included in a future release of this tool? I could take a look at it myself (though VS extensions coding is new to me), but I thought I'd just ask here first. :-)

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Umm, I got the code (Google found it) and found the hidden place (on GitHub) that linked to the wrong version of the SDK I need, I then got the right version of it (VS2010 SP1 SDK), built it all, and though I did my best to insert another menu command in a file's context menu, it just didn't show up. It all looks pretty complicated to me now... Maybe I'll just wait for an expert to revisit this. :-)

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:02 AM
Hi LonelyPixel,

Thanks for the suggestion. They are very good points. I will keep it in mind in future development.

Regards,

yysun

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:11 PM, LonelyPixel <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Umm, I got the code (Google found it) and found the hidden place (on GitHub) that linked to the wrong version of the SDK I need, I then got the right version of it (VS2010 SP1 SDK), built it all, and though I did my best to insert another menu command in a file's context menu, it just didn't show up. It all looks pretty complicated to me now... Maybe I'll just wait for an expert to revisit this. :-)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (gitscc@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email gitscc@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com